Sunday, February 22, 2009

Gumby's Oscar picks


Here we go, after much deliberation I have finally made my picks.


Best Picture
-Slumdog Millionaire
All the buzz is around this movie so unless the Academy wants to pick another film simply to be different, Slumdog is going to be the winner.

Best Leading Actor
-Mickey Rourke
There is some competition from Sean Penn, but I think Rourke will go home with the hardware.

Best Leading Actress
-Kate Winslet
Seems odd how Winslet could win a Leading Oscar for a role that got her a Supporting Globe, but she is being hailed as the front runner. So I will go with the flow and pick Winslet.

Best Supporting Actor
-Heath Ledger
There is no way Ledger isnt going to win, especially since his three year old daughter will recieve the statue after the ceremony. The Acadamy is not going to make a three year old cry (at least I dont think so)

Best Supporting Actress
-Penelope Cruz
The Globes let me down on this pick, but I'm sure the Oscars will get this one right.

Best Director
-Danny Boyle
Another sure thing.

Best Original Screenplay
-Milk
I'm a little unsure on this one, but I think Milk will trumph over Wall-E (and In Bruge)

Best Adapted Screenplay
-Slumdog Millionaire
This story was too well written to not win this award.

Best Cinematography
-Slumdog Millionaire

Best Editing
-The Dark Knight
With the snub from the major categories for The Dark Knight, I figure it will win quite a few of the technical awards, starting with Editing.

Best Art Direction
-Benjamin Button
With Slumdog taking all most of the major categories, Benjamin Button as well as The Dark Knight, are likely to take home quite a few of the technical awards.

Best Costume
-Benjamin Button
I'm thinking it's Button or Australia, but I dont think Australia is going to win the only Oscar its nominated for.

Best Makeup
-Benjamin Button
I am torn here, it's either Button or The Dark Knight. Aging Brad Pitt, or the Joker (I know who would win in a fight, but that hardly counts here). But I'll go with Benjamin Button on this one.

Best Original Score
-Slumdog Millionaire
I picked Bejamin Button at the Globes and was let down, and it seems that Slumdog is the front runner here once again. So I will learn from my mistakes and pick Slumdog.

Best Original Song
-Slumdog Millionaire (Jai Ho)
With Peter Gabriel protesting the event I dont think they will reward his actions with an Oscar, so its between the two Slumdog Millionaire songs, and I feel "Jai Ho" is the stronger of the two.

Best Sound
-The Dark Knight

Best Sound Editing
-The Dark Knight
Best Visual Effects
-The Dark Knight
Again like best Make-up its Benjamin Button or The Dark Knight, but I will go with Batman on this one.

Best Animated Film
-WALL-E
Like every award presentation this year, WALL-E will win, no doubt.

Best Foreign Film
-Waltz with Bashir
Just like the Globes, Walts with Bashir seems to be the critics favorite.

Best Documentary
-Man on Wire
A very acclaimed documentary, seems to be a shoe in here.

Best Documentary Short
-The Conscience of Nhem En
No clue here, never watched any, so lets just pick at random.

Best Animated Short
-Maison en petits cubes, La
Once again, never saw any, so Im taking a shot in the dark here.

Best Short Film, Live Action
-Grisen
A final shot in the dark, never say any of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment